18 June 2011

Best Pizza Dough

We make our pizza's from scratch (as much as we can, I do buy the pepperoni and cheese). One reasons we do this is they taste SO much better than just about any restaurant. I like Round Table (Maui Zaui with their zesty red sauce) but my kids insist mine are the best (so sweet). I think I like Round Table because I don't have to clean up after cooking (I don't mind cooking but the clean up after...yeck). I've been making pizzas for 20 years. This is the recipe that I've developed.


Nicole's Favorite Pizza Dough

1 cup warm water
1 package or 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
about 3 cups flour

Preheat oven to 425.

Put water in mixing bowl, sprinkle yeast on top and add the sugar. Let set about five minutes. Add the salt and oil and 2 1/2 cups flour. Mix and kneed until smooth and elastic, keep adding flour if sticky.

Divide the dough in two, roll into balls and let rest 5 minutes.
Sprinkle counter with flour and roll each ball into a 12 inch circle (though if you only have rectangle pans make a rectangle).
Place dough on baking pan and let rest 10-20 minutes.
Add your favorite topping and bake for 15 minutes (check at the 12 minute mark).

Beyond the basics:
I have a Bosch mixer (LOVE it) and triple the recipe and mix it all at once.
I use "speed bake" or "convection" when baking the pizza's (one at a time) and set the oven to 415 and cook for 12 minutes.
You can use half whole wheat for the white flour. Fresh ground "golden wheat" is best.

Enjoy!