19 April 2012

The Last Time


Think of someone you love.

Think of the last time you saw them. Call up the sounds, the smells, the feelings of that moment. Immerse yourself in it. 

Now think that this is the last time you will see them.

It was a year ago today my father, RLT, passed away. 

Miss B’s wedding, the last time I saw him. Mr. W and Miss B were dancing the father-daughter dance. Half way through the song Butterfly Kisses RLT comes up behind where I sat and put his hand on my shoulder. The weight, the warmth, the love and pride that flowed from him to me – I can still feel it. The song ended and Mr. W handed our daughter over to Mr. B. My father stayed as they danced to Little Wonders.

Today Little Wonders comes on the radio. I see my daughters glowing face. I feel my father’s hand on my shoulder.
I cry.

Tears of peace.

Rest well RLT.

Know you are missed.

Know you are loved.


about 1971
18 April 1988
June 1985